Crunchy deep fried crust, soft pillowy mashed potatoes, and tangy sauerkraut, all rolled together into scrumptious sauerkraut balls!
I really should mow the lawn, but I’m pretty sure it would just grow back. Fool me once… right? So instead, I’ll do something a bit more productive with my time, like deep fry some sauerkraut balls. Oh, what are sauerkraut balls, you ask? They are nothing short of heaven on earth for sauerkraut lovers!
Crunchy deep fried crust, soft pillowy mashed potatoes, tangy sauerkraut, all rolled together in one scrumptious little ball, literally. These things are fairly quick and easy to prepare and great for anyone who is a novice at frying foods. I enjoy serving these with Thousand Island dressing, but mustard or ketchup would probably work as well. Heck, my Big Mac Sauce would be amazing with these deep friend morsels!
I love making homemade sauerkraut, not only do I think it tastes better than the store-bought variety, but I love the health benefits from eating it raw. If you haven’t tried it yet, check out my instructions for making your own homemade sauerkraut. It is a fun project, and the most difficult step is just waiting!
Ever since I started making my own sauerkraut I have been on the lookout for new sauerkraut recipes to incorporate it into, and this one is a keeper. If you want to make a large batch of these sauerkraut balls, just put them in a warm oven as you work on additional batches. No special equipment is needed, as you can deep fry in a heavy bottomed skillet on the stove. However, I do highly recommend you purchase a good thermometer to keep track of the oil. There are deep frying thermometers you can buy if you fry a lot, but I just use a normal kitchen meat thermometer as a multitasker.
Deep Fried Sauerkraut Ball
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 14 1/2 ounce can sauerkraut (drained and squeezed dry)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 additional eggs
- 1/2 cup additional flour
- 1 cup additional breadcrumbs
- Thousand Island Dressing
- Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water until soft and then remove them from the water and mash them in a bowl.
- Let potatoes cool slightly.
- Add sauerkraut, seasonings, egg, flour, and breadcrumbs and combine.
- Form into bite-sized balls.
- Add oil to skillet a couple inches deep and heat to 350 degrees.
- Coat each ball in flour, then egg, and finally breadcrumbs, shaking off the excess after each dredge.
- Fry for about 4 minutes or until golden brown, working in batches if needed.
- Remove from fryer and let excess oil drain on paper towels before serving.
- Serve with Thousand Island dressing for dipping.
If you enjoyed reading about this deep fried sauerkraut balls recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.