Making your own homemade cream of chicken soup substitute can be done in less than 15 minutes, with minimal effort and only a handful of simple ingredients.
Whether you are surprised to find your pantry lacking a can of cream of chicken soup or are just looking for a homemade substitution made with only all-natural ingredients, this cream of chicken soup substitute recipe is the perfect replacement.
Condensed cream of chicken soup is a common ingredient called for in many classic recipes and creamy casseroles. However, the cans of condensed soup commonly found in the grocery store are loaded with MSG, artificial flavors, and other additives. This homemade cream of chicken soup recipe is a great substitute packing a much fresher flavor.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Chicken broth - Using chicken stock is an easy substitute. The chicken flavor can be enhanced by adding diced chicken.
- Milk - Heavy cream can be used too.
- All-purpose flour - This is the thickening agent and should not be substituted.
- Ground black pepper - Fresh ground black pepper will have the best flavor.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Table salt
How to make it
To make this cream of chicken substitute recipe begin by setting your saucepan over medium-low heat and melt the butter. Then whisk in the flour to form a roux. Continue to cook for one minute while whisking to prevent the flour from burning.
Next, add the milk and chicken broth slowly into the flour mixture while continuing to whisk. This will ensure it incorporates smoothly, without lumps. Then the garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt can be added.
Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over medium heat and let it continue to simmer until it has thickened into a similar creamy consistency as the canned version.
How to store it
Leftover cream of chicken soup can not be stored in the pantry like the canned soup. However, you can freeze it for later use if you decide to make a larger batch. This will freeze well for up to three months using a freezer safe container. If kept refrigerated in an airtight container, it should be used within one week.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Cream of Chicken Soup Substitute
- Small saucepan
- Melt butter in a small saucepan set over medium low heat, then whisk in flour. Continue to whisk for one minute to cook out the raw flour taste.
- Slowly add in chicken broth and milk while continuing to whisk to incorporate the liquid. Once all of the liquid has been added, stir in the seasonings.
- Bring the soup to a simmer over medium heat and continue to cook until the mixture thickens into a gravy consistency, then remove from heat.