This salmon salad sandwich is big on smoky flavor, balanced with bright splashes of lemon juice and fresh dill, then piled high on your favorite bread.
I created this salmon salad sandwich in the same style as you may enjoy egg salad - broken into chunks and tossed in a creamy mayo dressing with seasonings and herbs. It is similar in style and texture to a salmon dip, but creamier and not as rich. It is the perfect sandwich for a light lunch.
What you'll need to make this recipe:
- Smoked salmon - you want the smoked salmon fillets, not the very thinly sliced salmon.
- Mayo - My recipes uses ½ cup, but you can get by with ⅓ cup if you want fewer calories.
- Capers - Capers add a briny bite.
- Dill - Make sure you get fresh dill, the flavor difference is noticeable.
- Parsley - Fresh parsley adds a hint of freshness.
How to make it
The salmon salad is prepared simply by breaking the smoked salmon into chunks and gently stirring everything together. If you wish to leave the salmon chunks intact, I recommend mixing all of the ingredients together prior to adding the salmon, then gently folding it in. The more the salmon is mixed, the more it will break down. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just personal preference.
Best bread for the sandwich
The chewy French roll in my pictures works well for this sandwich, but really I felt traditional sandwich slices worked best. Upgrading to sourdough bread is a great option as well. If you are wishing to use a gourmet bakery roll, I'll point to Chibatta buns as an honorable mention.
I really enjoyed this sandwich with the pungent crunch of red onions and tender butter lettuce. However, I think taking the time to make my quick pickled red onions would be a phenomenal upgrade. A few halved cherry tomatoes would work great as well.
Salmon Salad Sandwich
- 8 slices bread (toasted)
- 4 leaves butter lettuce
- ¼ red onion (thinly sliced)
- Mix together all salmon salad ingredients in a bowl.
- Add lettuce to a slice of toasted bread, top with desired amount of salmon salad then add red onion and second slice of bread.