Chicken Coconut Curry Noodle Soup is not a brothy soup where a few vagabond vegetables float lazily in a wide open sea of seasoned water. This is an ‘everyone in the pool’ type soup that trades slurping spoons for overflowing forks full of vibrant vegetables, tender chicken, and slippery noodles! Your taste buds will have you racing to the bottom of the bowl in anticipation of lapping up each and every last gulp of this saucy broth!
I guess what I am trying to say is it tastes pretty good.
If you love curry, this is the soup for you! Sweet coconut milk and savory curry mingle together in a broth that will haunt your dreams... Well, haunt in a good way, like Casper the Friendly Ghost, not like The Shining. The Shining is creepy, and I adhere to a strict 'no creepy food' policy.
Where to Find Rice Noodles?
You can find rice noodles in the Asian food aisle of your local grocery store. The packages labeled for Pad Thai work well. Otherwise, feel free to cheat and just use linguine noodles instead. I promise not to judge you.
If you are like me and can never get enough curry dishes, check out my Coconut Lime Chicken Curry and Rice as well! It is one of my favorite curry rice dishes, plus it uses many similar ingredients to this Chicken Coconut Curry Noodle Soup, so your shopping list will be easy! Make them both, and let me know which one you like best!
Whenever I eat Asian food, I am reminded that I don't have any good chopsticks. You'll notice in my pictures I use the free chopsticks I get with my most recent takeout orders. I really should order a nice set like these. I'll have to remember them when I make my next Amazon.com order.
The above link is an affiliate link. Any Amazon purchase made through this link helps me afford chopsticks that I am still too cheap to buy.
Chicken Coconut Curry Noodle Soup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 8 oz rice noodles (pad thai noodles work well)
- 1/2 lb chicken breast sliced into ¼” strips.
- ½ onion sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped asparagus
- 3/4 cup baby corn chopped
- 1 bunch of basil ~5 leaves
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage for topping
- 1 lime for serving
Coconut Curry Broth
- 2 shallots minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp hot chili paste
- 1 tbsp oil
- Prepare noodles according to directions so they are ready to add to the soup and set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet and add onion, broccoli, carrots and asparagus. Cook until broccoli and asparagus are bright green then set skillet aside. (~5 minutes)
- While vegetables are sauteing add oil, shallots, and ginger to separate pot and saute for ~3 minutes.
- Add red curry paste to pot and cook for 1 minute.
- Add all remaining broth ingredients to pot, stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken and cook until no longer raw.
- Add noodles, sauteed vegetables, baby corn, and basil and cook for 2 minutes to allow basil to flavor the soup. Remove basil.
- Ladle soup into bowl and top with 1/4 cup of shredded cabbage and squeeze of 1/4 lime.
This Chicken Coconut Curry Noodle Soup was originally published on FoxValleyFoodie.com February 27, 2016.
If you enjoyed my Chicken Coconut Curry Noodle Soup recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.