Chicken Coconut Curry Noodle Soup is not a brothy soup where a few vagabond vegetables float lazily in a wide open sea of seasoned water. This is an ‘everyone in the pool’ type soup that trades slurping spoons for overflowing forks full of vibrant vegetables, tender chicken, and slippery noodles!
Your taste buds will have you racing to the bottom of the bowl in anticipation of lapping up each and every last gulp of this saucy broth! I guess what I am trying to say is it tastes pretty good.
Ingredients you will need
- Rice noodles - Pad Thai noodles work well.
- Chicken breast
- Broccoli florets
- Baby corn chopped
- Fresh ginger
- Canned coconut milk
- Reduced sodium chicken broth
- Red curry paste
- Fish sauce
- Oyster sauce
- Hot chili paste
- Toppings: Lime and shredded cabbage.
How to make it
The noodles can vary in preparation, so it is important to check the packaging for instructions. Cook the noodles and then set them aside.
Add cooking oil to a skill with onion, broccoli, carrots, and the asparagus. Saute these until the broccoli and asparagus turn a vibrant green color, then set aside.
As your vegetables are cooking get your soup pot ready and add oil, shallots, and ginger. Briefly cook for three minutes then add red curry paste and cook for an additional minute to wake up the flavors. Then add all of the remaining soup broth ingredients and bring to a simmer.
Add the sliced chicken and cook until no longer raw then add all of the cooked and raw vegetables and noodles to your soup pot. Simmer for two minutes to allow the basil flavor to soak into the soup then remove the basil. Serve topped with shredded cabbage and squeeze of lime juice.
This soup is best enjoyed with some good chopsticks.
More of my Favorite Asian Recipes
Chicken Coconut Curry Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon cookingoil
- 8 oz rice noodles (pad thai noodles work well)
- ½ lb chicken breast sliced into ¼” strips.
- ½ onion sliced
- ¾ cup chopped broccoli florets
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- ¾ cup chopped asparagus
- ¾ cup baby corn chopped
- 1 bunch of basil ~5 leaves
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage for topping
- 1 lime for serving
Coconut Curry Broth
- 2 shallots minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 14 ounce can coconut milk
- ½ cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot chili paste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Prepare noodles according to directions so they are ready to add to the soup and set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet and add onion, broccoli, carrots and asparagus. Cook until broccoli and asparagus are bright green then set skillet aside. (~5 minutes)
- While vegetables are sauteing add oil, shallots, and ginger to separate pot and saute for ~3 minutes.
- Add red curry paste to pot and cook for 1 minute.
- Add all remaining broth ingredients to pot, stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken and cook until no longer raw.
- Add noodles, sauteed vegetables, baby corn, and basil and cook for 2 minutes to allow basil to flavor the soup. Remove basil.
- Ladle soup into bowl and top with ¼ cup of shredded cabbage and squeeze of ¼ lime.
This Chicken Coconut Curry Noodle Soup was originally published on FoxValleyFoodie.com February 27, 2016.