Infused with the flavors of coconut and lime, this chicken curry and rice dish is as delicious as it is simple to prepare.
For pasty white Midwesterners like myself, tackling curry dishes can be a bit intimidating. It isn’t that they are particularly difficult, but rather the unfamiliar flavors and ingredients pose an artificial barrier for those of us raised on meat and potatoes. But have no fear, because this chicken curry and rice dish is perfect for anyone looking to enjoy robust curry flavors in a simple to prepare meal, using accessible and familiar ingredients.
Chicken Curry and Rice Recipe
Chicken curry and rice is a creamy dish loaded with fresh vegetables and simmered in a heavily seasoned curry. However, rather than making the curry from scratch, we keep things simple by using a prepared curry instead that you can find at any grocery store.
You don’t need any special equipment to make coconut lime chicken curry. However there are a few vegetables to chop, and if you are like me you get a certain sense of satisfaction using well-made kitchen tools that you love. That is why I recommend giving serious consideration to purchasing quality kitchen knives. Personally, I own Wustof Ikon knives (affiliate link) and I wouldn’t trade them for the world. They stay sharp, feel great and look great. It makes meal prep a breeze.
Chicken Curry and Rice Ingredients
This recipe is easy to prepare because you are using canned curry, rather than trying to recreate it from scratch. Specifically, when you are at the grocery store be on the lookout for “yellow curry” (affiliate link). Each curry will have a distinctly different flavor.
The curry is loaded with fresh ingredients such as carrots, onion, bell peppers, basil, cilantro, and fresh lime. Coconut milk adds a wonderful creaminess to the dish as well.
How to Make Chicken Curry and Rice
The bulk of this chicken curry and rice dinner can be easily cooked in one skillet, while the rice is prepared separately. The curry paste, onions, and peppers are cooked first in the skillet until the onion is tender. Then the chicken and coconut milk are added and simmered together.
The chicken will take about 10 minutes to cook through, while the curry thickens. Be sure to stir occasionally while it is simmering to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom. When the curry has finished, hit it with a fresh squeeze of lime, top with fresh herbs, and serve over rice.
Coconut Lime Chicken Curry and Rice
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 ounces Yellow Curry Paste
- 3 medium carrots (julienned)
- 1 medium yellow onion (julienned)
- 1 red bell pepper (julienned)
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken breast (thinly sliced)
- 13.5 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- Chopped fresh basil and cilantro
- 2 limes (quartered)
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat.
- Add curry paste and cook until fragrant, then add carrots, onions, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken, and coconut milk, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Serve curry on plate of rice and top with herbs.
- Squeeze wedge of lime over each dish.
If you enjoyed reading my recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, and if you are willing to take my advice on the food you put into your body you should probably follow my advice on that too.