This tangy and creamy chicken and artichoke lasagna is loaded with tender chicken, tart artichokes, and sundried tomatoes mingling under layers of gooey melted cheese. This recipe is great for any lasagna lover who is craving something a little different!
Ingredients you will need
- Chicken breasts - These should be cooked and shredded. Using a rotisserie chicken is a great choice.
- Lasagna noodles
- Artichoke hearts - Canned or jarred artichokes work great.
- Sundried tomatoes
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese - I recommend shredded parm, but grated will also work.
- Cream cheese
- Basil - Make sure to use fresh basil.
- Garlic powder
How to make it
This is prepared in layers like a traditional lasagna. Prepare a mixture of chicken, artichokes, tomatoes, one up of mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix cream cheese, milk, and garlic powder, along with most of the basil.
Spread half of the cream cheese sauce on the bottom of your lasagna pan then mix the rest with the chicken mixture. Begin layering your lasagna by adding lasagna noodles to the pan, layered with the chicken mixture, repeating with more noodles and chicken layers.
Cover the top layer with mozzarella and aluminum foil then place in a 375 oven for 20 minutes. At this point, the foil can be removed and bake until the cheese is beginning to brown, approximately 20 more minutes.
Tips and Tricks
- Soften the cream cheese in the microwave (without the foil packaging) or soak the packaging in hot water for ten minutes.
- I recommend cooking the lasagna noodles first, or at least par-cooking them. When using uncooked noodles any bits sticking out of the sauce won't soften while cooking. No one wants to be served crunchy lasagna.
Using your microwave is the quickest and easiest way, but you will get the best results covering it in foil and placing it in a 350-degree oven until heated through.
Yes, prepare your lasagna exactly as written but do not bake it. Instead, place it in a freezer-safe storage bag and freeze until ready to enjoy.
More Artichoke Recipes
Chicken and Artichoke Lasagna
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 12 lasagna noodles cooked
- 14 ounces can artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese shredded
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup basil chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- While the oven is preheating combine chicken, artichokes, tomatoes, 1 cup mozzarella and Parmesan. In another bowl mix cream cheese, milk, and garlic powder until well blended; then add in all but 2 tablespoons of basil.
- Spread half of the cream sauce onto the bottom of a 9×13″ dish and then combine the remaining sauce with the chicken mixture.
- Lay three noodles in the pan, topping with ⅓ of the chicken mixture, and then repeat with two more layers of additional noodles and chicken mixture.
- Finally, cover the top layer with mozzarella cheese and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake 20 minutes covered and then uncovered for an additional 20 minutes to allow cheese to brown.
- Sprinkle with remaining basil and let rest 15 minutes prior to serving to allow juices to redistribute.
This recipe was originally published on FoxValleyFoodie.com May 10, 2012.