These dangerously cheesy Southwestern Egg Rolls are packed with bold seasonings, tender shredded chicken, fresh produce, and plenty of gooey melted cheese!
All the women in my life are currently stoked about their new diet. They can eat sandwiches, as long as there is no bread. They can have sweets, as long as they aren’t sweet. And they can have dessert as long as nothing is added to make it taste good. However, whoever said, “Nothing tastes as good as skinny” hasn’t sunk their teeth into these outrageously Cheesy Southwestern Egg Rolls.
Sure, these Cheesy Southwestern Egg Rolls aren’t about to be a cornerstone of any fat-shredding diet. However, they likely will be the best dang thing you’ve put in your mouth all week long!
What are Southwestern Egg Rolls
These Cheesy Southwestern Egg Rolls explode with bold Tex-Mex flavor upon the first bite! Imagine your teeth breaking into the perfect crisp egg roll crust as your taste buds are greeted with the warm flavors of cumin and chili powder clinging to each strand of the tender shredded chicken. Meanwhile, the contrasting textures of diced peppers and onions livens up the party while oozing pepper jack cheese gives you the ultimate comfort food satisfaction.
How to Make Southwestern Egg Rolls
Yes, you can use any type of chicken for the Southwestern Egg Roll filling, even canned chicken. However, if you really want to maximize the flavor, simply bake (skip the sear) my Cilantro Lime Chicken Breast recipe. It is the perfect filling for this dish. If you are looking for a delicious shortcut, shred a rotisserie chicken.
Bonus tip: Use a hand mixer to quickly shred the meat. It works.
Make sure you have the proper equipment for frying. You should have a good digital meat thermometer (affiliate link) to not only make sure the chicken was cooked properly before shredding it, but you can also use that thermometer to monitor the oil temperature for frying. I also like using my cast iron chicken fryer (affiliate link) for deep frying. The high walls are ideal for minimizing the mess, while the thick sides retain heat exceptionally well.
How to Wrap Egg Rolls
Wrapping egg rolls is quite easy, so there is no need to be intimidated. Simply lay the egg roll wrapper in front of you in a diamond shape (so a corner is pointing at you) and lay the filling in the center of the egg roll. Fold the nearest corner to you over the filling, then bring each side corner to the center, over the filling, as well. Finally roll the egg roll up so the corner facing away from you is also wrapped around the filling. The egg roll can be sealed with a light brushing of beaten egg.
Southwestern Egg Rolls Dipping Sauce
My favorite dipping sauces for these Southwestern Egg Rolls are Ranch dressing and my Cilantro Lime Sour Cream Sauce. My Cilantro Lime Sour Cream Sauce is a very versatile sauce that it great to use in many dishes such as these chicken wraps and chicken tacos.
Cheesy Southwestern Egg Rolls
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cooked & shredded)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp minced red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ cup canned corn kernels (drained)
- 1/3 cup canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 tbsp minced green onion
- ¼ cup frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
- 1 tbsp minced fresh Cilantro
- 8 oz Pepper Jack cheese (shredded)
- 16 oz Egg Roll Wrappers
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
Egg Roll Filling
- Add vegetable oil to heated skillet, set to medium heat and add red pepper and jalapeno. Saute till slightly softened, add garlic and continue to cook for until garlic is fragrant (~1 minute).
- Remove from skillet and place in a large bowl.
- Season chicken with cumin, chili powder, and salt, then add shredded chicken to the bowl along with with corn, beans, green onion, spinach, cilantro, and shredded cheese.
- Mix thoroughly to combine.
Making the Egg Rolls
- Lay out an egg roll wrapper so it is facing you in a diamond shape.
- Add 1/4 cup filling across the center of the wrapper, then fold the nearest corner to you over the filling, and then fold the two corners pointed outwards towards the filling to close each side. Finally roll the egg roll up.
- Brush the inside of the corner pointing away from you lightly with beaten egg to ensure a good seal
- Repeat for remaining egg rolls.
- Add oil to a deep sided pan (Recommended: cast iron) so it covers at least half of the egg roll (~1" deep).
- Heat oil to 350 degrees and deep fry egg rolls in batches for 4 minutes, flipping halfway through to ensure even frying.
- Remove egg rolls from fryer and place on wire rack or paper towels to drain.
- Let cool 5-10 minute and serve with Ranch and Cilantro Lime Sour Cream Sauce for dipping.
If you enjoyed reading my Cheesy Southwestern Egg Rolls recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.