I call cilantro lime chicken tacos my fancy taco recipe. The fresh flavor of cilantro with bright splashes of lime, the creamy taste of sour cream among the earthy chicken taco seasoning, these tacos are packed with so many great flavors!
Why do I call it my fancy taco recipe? Whenever I cook this meal my wife and I dress up in monocles and ball gowns and eat it while talking in stuffy English accents. For the duration of the meal I begin every sentence with “I do say…”, until we retire to the parlor.
OK, don’t trust everything you read on the internet. None of the preceding paragraph is true.
Maybe cilantro lime chicken tacos aren’t black tie fancy. But at least it is ‘not your normal taco Tuesday’ fancy, and that’s good enough for me. I make cilantro lime chicken tacos a lot during the summer time because the fresh flavors seem so appropriate for the season. The chicken is also perfectly suited to cook over the grill too if you want to add additional smoky flavor. It is just hard not to feel like you have made something special when all those exciting flavors come together.
This dish is versatile too. Not feeling tacos? Make this into an amazing chicken sandwich by swapping out tortillas for buns.
There is no special equipment needed to make this. You probably have everything in your kitchen that you need right now. Though you certainly can get good results cooking this in a non-stick skillet, I recommend using a high quality stainless steel pan for this meal. It will help you get a better sear on the chicken. Personally, I own an All-Clad skillet, which is renowned for being the best brand in the business. Though it may be a little pricey, I know I will be able to keep it for the rest of my life which makes it more than worth the money to me.
The above link is an affiliate link. Any purchases made through this link helps keep this blog online without any additional costs to you. Thanks for supporting Fox Valley Foodie.
Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos
- Flour Fajita Tortillas
- 2 lb chicken breast cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 2 Poblano peppers cut into strips
- 1 bunch Cilantro chopped
- 2 Limes quartered
- 1 jar Habanero Salsa
- Sour cream
- ½ Red Onion pickled
- 3 tablespoon Cumin
- 3 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Toss chicken strips with seasoning until well coated. Using tongs will allow for better coverage, otherwise much of the seasoning with stick to your hands.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat and add in peppers. Cook for 5 minutes prior to adding the chicken to a separate pan.
- While chicken is cooking warm tortillas by sprinkling with water and microwaving for a few seconds, or wrap in foil and place in a 350 degree oven.
- Once cooked, add chicken and poblanos to the tortillas then add onion, top with sour cream, salsa, cilantro, and a squeeze of a lime wedge.
If you enjoyed reading my Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.