Spicy egg salad is infused with the smoky flavor of chipotle peppers, giving it just the right amount of kick. This creamy egg salad is perfect for serving as a sandwich or simply eating with a fork!
What is it?
Like my classic egg salad recipe, this spicy egg salad features hard-boiled eggs broken into pieces and coated in a creamy sauce. However, this recipe uses my chipotle mayo as a base to give the egg salad a wonderfully deep and smoky flavor. If you are looking to make traditional egg salad more exciting, this recipe is for you!
Tip: You can add even more flavor by substituting my spicy pickled eggs in this recipe too!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Hard boiled eggs - You can buy hard-boiled eggs from the grocery store or make your own homemade boiled eggs.
- Mayonnaise - Plain Greek yogurt is a great plain mayo substitute.
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce - This is found in the Mexican aisle at the grocery store.
- Dijon mustard - Spicy brown mustard also works well.
- Lemon juice
- Celery powder
- Sweet paprika - Regular paprika or smoked paprika can also be substituted.
- Yellow onion - A sweet onion is also great to use. Green onions can also be added for herbal freshness.
The spiciness of this recipe can easily be tweaked by adding more or less chipotles and adobo sauce. You could even add cayenne pepper or hot sauce for more heat. If you want more crunch, add some diced celery to the salad, or even hot peppers.
How to make it
To make this spicy egg salad recipe, you need to start with 8 hard-boiled eggs. You can make hard-boiled eggs by placing large eggs in a pot of cold water, bring to a boil over high heat, then shut off the heat and let them sit for 14 minutes. At this point, they can be removed from the water, cooled in an ice bath, and peeled. I recommend reviewing my writeup on How to Boil Eggs to learn more tips and tricks for making perfect boiled eggs every time.
The dressing for the spicy egg salad is best prepared prior to adding the eggs. Add mayo, chipotle, diced onion, and seasonings to a large mixing bowl and mix to combine. Once combined the eggs can be added and broken apart with a fork, pastry cutter, or potato masher, until they are in small pieces.
Egg salad can be eaten right away, but the flavor will improve as it sits in the fridge for a few hours.
How to serve it
A great way to serve egg salad is simply to eat it right out of a bowl. However, spicy egg salad sandwiches are phenomenal, and my personal favorite way to eat them.
Serving egg salad on toast with any type of bread is the most common way to eat it as a sandwich. However, using an English muffin is even better. Another great option is to serve it on a nice flaky croissant.
Any leftover spicy egg salad needs to be stored in the refrigerator. Either place it in an airtight container or cover the bowl securely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to one week.
Spicy Egg Salad
- In a large bowl combine the mayo, minced chipotles, dijon, lemon juice, celery powder, and paprika. Once combined, mix in the onion as well.
- Add hard boiled eggs to the bowl and break into small pieces with a fork or potato masher. Mix to coat with dressing.
- Can be served immediately, however, the flavor is best when rested in the refrigerator for a few hours.
This recipe was originally published on April 22, 2020.