This easy quick-pickled cabbage recipe makes a tangy treat that is perfect for topping your favorite sandwiches, tacos, and loaded hot dogs. Or enjoy it on its own as an easy side dish to give a pop of color to any meal.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Cabbage - Purple cabbage or green cabbage are both equally fine.
- Carrots - Carrots can be omitted if desired. Or you can add additional vegetables, like peppers.
- Apple cider vinegar - Another kind of vinegar, such as red wine vinegar or rice wine vinegar, can be substituted.
- White sugar - Sugar takes the edge of the vinegar.
- Salt - You can use table salt, but pickling salt is ideal because there is no iodine, which makes the brine cloudy.
- Garlic cloves
- Bay leaves
- Black peppercorns
- Mustard seeds
- Coriander seeds
- Crushed red pepper flakes - Omit these if you don't desire any heat.
How to make it
To make this homemade pickled cabbage recipe, begin by shredding or thinly slicing your cabbage and carrots with a mandoline slicer or sharp knife. Mix these together in a large bowl then completely fill two mason jars with the mixture.
In a large saucepan, simmer the remaining ingredients until the sugar and salt has dissolved into the brine. Then remove the pickling liquid from heat and carefully pour the hot brine into each glass jar, filling completely.
Seal the jars and place them in the refrigerator overnight, then enjoy. This quick pickled cabbage recipe can be kept refrigerated for weeks.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
- 1 small cabbage (shredded or sliced)
- 2 carrots (shredded)
- 2 ¼ cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 ¼ cup water
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Set a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add vinegar, water, sugar, salt, garlic, bay leaves, black peppercorns, mustard seeds, coriander, and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring the pickling brine to a simmer and stir until all sugar and salt have dissolved, then shut off heat.
- Firmly pack shredded cabbage and carrots into large mason jars, then pour the hot brine over the top until filled, dividing the seasonings between the jars. Seal with lids and store in the refrigerator at least overnight for the best flavor, then enjoy.
- When kept refrigerated, you can expect your pickled cabbage to last for weeks.