These Healthy Baked Chicken Taquitos are exploding with tender shredded chicken, green salsa, melted cheese and taco seasonings, delivering big Mexican flavor without the guilt.
Right next to the cascade of candy that falls from a pinata, taquitos rank highly as one of my favorite Mexican dishes; however I don’t make them much because the deep fried nature of a traditional taquitos brings with it a surplus of extra calories. Nor do I get to take many swings at pinatas these days, with not being 8 years old and all… So I guess you could say I’ve been craving to rectify one of those two injustices. And since I don’t know how to craft homemade pinatas, taquitos it is!
Now, I don’t consider myself to be a health food blogger, but I do try to limit calories where I can in everyday cooking. I like this Healthy Baked Chicken Taquitos recipe because they are baked in flour tortillas rather than fried, so I can enjoy them without packing on the pounds.
I loaded these baked taquitos with lean shredded chicken breast, quite honestly I just bought a rotisserie chicken and shredded the breasts. It makes for an incredibly simple meal. However, you can certainly buy fresh chicken and shred it. A healthy green tomatillo salsa flavors the chicken, while a reasonable amount of cheese provides some creaminess.
My Roasted Tomatillo Guacamole is the perfect accompaniment for this dish to bridge the flavors of the salsa with the guacamole. Use it to top the taquitos, or as a dip.
To help the flour tortillas crisp while baking, I lightly brush them with oil. This can be done easiest with a basting brush. I use a basting brush from KitchenAid, since it is made from silicone, it is easy to clean. However, if you are looking to eliminate as many calories as possible, you don’t have to brush the taquitos with oil.
The above link is an affiliate link. Any Amazon purchases made through this link helps support FoxValleyFoodie.com at no additional cost to you.
Healthy Baked Chicken Taquitos
- 1/2 lb shredded cooked chicken breast
- Small flour tortillas taco sized
- 1 tsp heaping chicken taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup green tomatillo salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese taco
- Oil for brushing
- ~Optional for Serving
- Roasted Tomatillo Guacamole (Recipe Below)
- Sour Cream
- Green Salsa
- <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span></span>Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.</span>
- Add shredded chicken, taco seasoning, salsa, and cheese into a bowl. Stir to combine.
- <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span></span>Place ~2tbps of mixture inside a flour tortilla and tightly roll like a cigar.</span>
- Place on lightly oiled baking sheet and lightly brush the top of the tortillas with oil.
- Bake for ~20 minutes, or until crisp.
- <span></span>Serve with Roasted Tomatillo Guacamole, additional green salsa, and/or sour cream.
If you enjoyed reading my Healthy Baked Chicken Taquitos recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.