My Easy Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings recipe features hassle-free ingredients, as well as fresh herbs for that classic homemade taste!
Do you ever wish you were born in a different era? As I sit here listening to Louis Armstrong wail on the trumpet I can’t help but wax nostalgically about living in a simpler time when everything was made from scratch, cigarettes were healthy, and the fedora was king.
However, I quickly realize if I lived a hundred years ago blogging would be a slightly less lucrative profession, the prevailing mindset of health professionals wouldn’t make cigarettes any less deadly, and I wouldn’t have a slow cooker to make a traditionally labor-intensive meal, like chicken and dumplings, so dang simple!
Easy CrockPot Chicken and Dumplings with Biscuits
The secret to making this recipe so easy is the use of refrigerated biscuit dough. Making dumplings from scratch isn’t overly difficult if you are so inclined, but it is intimidating for many people. Simply unrolling refrigerated biscuit dough is effortless and still provides equally great results! Alternatively, some people make dumplings with Bisquick, but refrigerated biscuit dough is easier.
You can use any refrigerated biscuit dough, but I really think buttermilk biscuit dough is perfect for this recipe.
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings in CrockPot
It goes without saying, you will need a Crock-Pot (affiliate link) for this recipe. Well, any slow cooker actually. A 5 or 6 quart crock pot would be ideal for making Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings.
This recipe is specifically designed to eliminate as much prep work as possible. Almost all of the ingredients can simply be dumped right into your slow cooker. However, this doesn’t mean flavor is being sacrificed. The key to achieving that classic homemade chicken and dumplings flavor is using fresh herbs. They really stand out in the final dish!
Easy Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- 1, 10oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1, 10oz can condensed cream of celery soup
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 small branch fresh sage
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1, 16oz can refrigerated buttermilk biscuit dough
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- salt to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- Add soup, broth, chicken and onion to crock pot.
- Place butter in crock pot along with poultry seasoning, thyme, rosemary, sage, and ground pepper.
- Cover and cook for 4 1/2 hours on high.
- Uncover and shred chicken.
- Remove biscuit dough from can and flatten each round (~1/4" thick). Cut each flattened round into 8 pieces. (cut into quarters for larger dumplings)
- Place dough in crock pot along with peas and carrots. Push dough under liquid with spoon and cook for 30 minutes longer, or until biscuits are cooked through.
- Break up any cooked together pieces of dough, taste for salt and adjust as needed.
- Stir in fresh parsley and serve.
This Easy Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings Recipe was originally published on FoxValleyFoodie.com December 1, 2016.
If you enjoyed my Easy Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.