This Cheesy Potato Dill Soup will warm the soul and brightens your spirit on cold winter days. Velvety potatoes make the perfect canvass for the comforting flavor of Cheddar cheese and bright punches of dill to delight your taste buds!
Here in Wisconsin, it is a balmy -23 below zero, with the wind chill. Or as the locals call it, “a bit cool”. Weather like this calls for a comforting soup to warm you up and this Cheesy Potato Dill Soup is perfect for the occasion. Cheddar cheese provides classic comfort food satisfaction, while the fresh taste of dill revives memories of warm summer days.
This is one of my favorite soup recipes, and I have been making (and refining) it for years. A splash of lemon juice really helps the dill flavor pop, and I find it doesn’t need much salt when seasoned chicken broth is used.
My recipe calls for Crème Fraîche, however, you are welcome to substitute sour cream if you wish. Both will taste great. I lean towards using Crème Fraîche because it has a more mild flavor. I find the tartness of sour cream isn’t as necessary with the addition of lemon juice.
Regardless of which one you choose to use, I recommend tempering it before adding it to the soup. This will help it incorporate smoothly into the soup. You can temper it by slowly stirring in spoonfuls of soup into the cream to warm it up. Then add the warm cream into the soup. This prevents it from breaking apart when the cold cream is shocked by the hot soup.
Using an Immersion Blender is the most hassle free method of preparing this Cheesy Potato Dill Soup. However, if you do not own one just puree the soup in a blender working in batches. Either way,the soup will turn out great.
The above link is an affiliate link. Any Amazon purchases made through this link helps support FoxValleyFoodie.com at no additional cost to you.
Cheesy Potato Dill Soup
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, (should yield 2 cups of chopped onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds peeled russet or baking potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche (or substitute sour cream)
- 3 tbsp fresh dill, stems removed (1 herb package)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice about 1 lemon
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pot. Add onion and increase heat to medium. Cook until golden, about 12 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 more minute.
- Add potatoes and broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- With an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth (or puree in batches in a blender). Add cheese, tempered creme fraiche, lemon and dill and season to taste with salt.
- Serve hot, in bowls, topped with extra dill.
If you enjoyed my Cheesy Potato Dill Soup recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today!