Blended burgers are a savory combination of ground beef and chopped mushrooms formed into juicy patties.
I am always looking for new ways to serve up hot juicy burgers, and blended burgers are a must for any mushroom lover. These hearty patties are infused with rich mushroom flavor throughout.
What are blended burgers?
Blended burgers are traditional hamburger patties that are combined with finely chopped mushrooms. For best results, the mushrooms should be sauteed prior to mixing with the ground beef. Additional flavors, such as minced garlic can be added as well.
How to make blended burger patties
Begin making your blended burgers by chopping up the mushrooms into small pieces. It will take a long time to do it by hand, so I recommend using a food processor. However, a blender also works if you pulse it. These get sauteed with garlic in a nonstick skillet until they are tender.
Important! – To create tender patties, it is important that you buy fresh packages of ground beef where you can still see the individual strands of the beef from coming out of the meat grinder. This is typically available at your meat counter. You do not want to buy ground beef that has been firmly packed into tubes for packaging, this compacted beef will make dense burgers.
Gently crumble your ground beef into small pieces and add them to a large bowl. Pour in sauteed mushrooms as well and mix to combine very gently. For the most tender burgers, you are aiming to mix everything together without squishing or compacting the beef.
How to form burger patties
Gently form your mixture into 1/3 pound rough balls, just firmly enough that it holds together. Press down firmly on the meat with a flat bottomed plate or burger press to form your patties. Placing wax parchment paper above and below the patty will help prevent sticking.
Tip: Burgers shrink during cooking. Always press your patties wider than the buns you will be serving them on.
Alternatively, you can make fast-food style burgers by making them less than a quarter-pound each and firmly smashing them in a hot skillet to sear.
Best topping for blended burgers
Since these burgers are infused with the flavor of mushrooms, Swiss cheese is a great choice. After all, mushrooms and Swiss is a classic combination. However, I like using Muenster cheese as well.
Typically I like using green leaf lettuce on most of my burgers, however, I think baby spinach is a good fit for these. Caramelized onions would be an incredible topping, particularly if served with my peppered balsamic mayo. However, there is no shame in keeping things simple with just a swipe of mayo.
- 2 pounds ground beef (see note)
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chop mushrooms by pulsing in a food processor or blender.
- Add mushrooms and garlic to a nonstick skillet and saute until tender.**
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- While mushrooms cool, gently crumble the ground beef into small pieces and add to a large bowl. Once mushrooms have cooled add the mushrooms and garlic to the bowl as well and carefully mix everything together without squishing or compacting the meat.
- Divide mixture into six equal roughly formed balls, pressed together just firmly enough that they hold their shape. Press firmly on each ball with a flat bottomed plate to form patties.***
- Cook patties in a skillet set over medium heat for approximately four minutes per side, or until it reaches your desired level of doneness. Do not press on the burgers as they cook or you will expell the juices, creating a dry burger.
- Serve on a hamburger bun with your choice of toppings.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.