I was craving this Red Potato Breakfast Hash with Smoked Gouda all day yesterday. Creamy red potatoes, smoky Gouda cheese, and plenty of sauteed black and brown crispy bits in every fork full! How could I not crave this?
It wasn't that many years ago, when I was single and lived alone, I would surprise myself by making this for breakfast every Saturday morning. Thoughtful, right? The company wasn't great, but the breakfast was fantastic! Red potatoes would always be found in my cupboards, and though I made them a million different ways, using them as breakfast potatoes was always my favorite application.
My other breakfast obsession has always been mastering the art of homemade hash browns. If you enjoy a hearty breakfast hash, I have no doubt you will love my shredded hash brown recipe as well! They are better than anything you will get from a diner, and you can easily substitute them as the starch in your favorite breakfast hash!
I like using a high quality non-stick skillet when making my Red Potato Breakfast Hash. The non-stick surface allows me to easily switch from sauteing meats, to vegetables, to potatoes without everything sticking and burning to the pan. The non-stick surface does a great job building a crust on the potatoes. I own, and highly recommend, the Calaphalon Contemporary non-stick skillets.
The above link is an affiliate link. Any Amazon purchases made through this link helps me buy important things like bedazzling glitter for my laptop, without any additional cost to you.
Red Potato Breakfast Hash with Smoked Gouda
- 2 lbs Red Potatoes diced
- ½ lb Bacon cut into quarter strips
- 1 Red Onion chopped
- 1 Red Pepper chopped
- 1 cup shredded Smoked Gouda
- 4 eggs
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Boil a pot of salted water, add vinegar and chopped potatoes and boil until easily pierced with a fork. About 10 minutes. Then remove from water and set aside.
- While the potatoes are boiling, saute peppers in lightly oiled pan until crisp tender and starting to char, then remove from skillet.
- Add more oil if needed and saute red onions until softened and starting to char, then remove from skillet.
- Saute bacon in skillet until crisp, then remove from skillet, leaving the bacon fat.
- Add potatoes to heated skillet with bacon fat and cook until browned on all sides, tossing as needed. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper, add bacon, onions, and peppers back into the skillet to warm then sprinkle Smoked Gouda over the mixture.
- Cook up eggs over-easy, poached, or sunny side up in separate pan (remember to salt the eggs) then place on top of hash and sprinkle generously with chopped green onion.
- Serve onto 4 plates, ensuring each person gets an egg.
Also, adding vinegar to the water helps ensure the potato doesn't fall apart when boiling, if overcooked.
If you enjoyed my Red Potato Breakfast Hash with Smoked Gouda recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.