Who can efficiently change diapers on a crawling baby? This guy! Yes, it is one of my many talents I've carefully cultivated over the nine months since my daughter's birth. Well that, along with being able to sniff out a poopie diaper like a bloodhound, and cook up a meal while also fending off my daughter from playing in the cat's water dish like it's her own personal water park. With all of the extra hustle and bustle that come with a growing family, I am beginning to appreciate easy one pot meals more and more.
My One Pot Chicken Fajita and Rice Skillet still packs all the big flavors I would expect to find in a more involved meal, but I don't have all the extra clean up that goes with it! But more importantly, it was a huge hit with my family!
Do you have any great recipes that you find yourself continually re-purposing? That is what I did with my Cheesy Tex-Mex Rice dish! It is one of my favorite side dishes and I felt it would make an amazing base to a one pot skillet, and it delivered! I promise your family will love this One Pot Chicken Fajita and Rice Skillet, but if you are also looking for a great side dish for Mexican night, you will want to keep the Cheesy Tex-Mex Rice recipe handy!
I recommend using a saute pan to cook this dish. The straight sides of saute pans allow for more surface area inside the pan, making it quick and easy to saute the vegetables and brown the chicken. Plus the straight sides provide greater volume inside the pan, keeping the water contained while you cook the rice.
The above link is an affiliate link. Any Amazon purchases made through this link helps support FoxValleyFoodie.com without any additional cost to you.
One Pot Chicken Fajita and Rice Skillet
- 1 lb stir fry chicken or chicken breast cut into small strips</span>
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 green pepper cut into strips
- 1 red pepper cut into strips
- 1 medium red onion cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 packet fajita seasoning
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Toss chicken and fajita seasoning together until chicken is completely coated.
- <span data-mce-bogus="1" class="mceItemHidden"><span></span>Heat oil in a saute pan and add chicken in an even layer. Let chicken brown, undisturbed, and then flip. Continue cooking chicken until cooked through, then set aside.</span>
- Add peppers and onions to the skillet, along with additional oil if needed. Saute until peppers are beginning to soften, but still retain some crispness. Set aside.
- Add chicken broth and rice to the skillet and cook according to the rice package instructions. When water is mostly absorbed add salsa and cheese and stir to combine. Add chicken, peppers and onions and cook until all ingredients are heated through.
- Add cilantro to the top and serve.
If you enjoyed my One Pot Chicken Fajita and Rice Skillet recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.