This classic macaroni salad with peas recipe is loaded with fresh ingredients bathed in a deliciously tangy dressing. This easy recipe is perfect to make ahead to serve a large crowd at any gathering or potluck.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Elbow macaroni noodles - Any other small pasta can be substituted.
- Sour cream
- White vinegar - Apple cider vinegar can be substituted.
- Yellow mustard - Dijon mustard can be substituted.
- Green onions - Red onion or yellow onion can be substituted.
- Red bell pepper
- Fresh celery rib
- Sweet peas - Fresh peas are great but thawed frozen peas can also be used.
- Sweet pickle relish - The acidity in this salad benefits from a little bit of sweetness to balance it. If you don't wish to use sweet pickle relish, substitute white sugar.
- Hard-boiled eggs - These can be omitted according to personal preference. Otherwise, substituting pickled eggs would be a delicious upgrade!
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Sharp cheddar cheese
How to make it
To make this creamy macaroni salad recipe with peas begin by boiling noodles in a large pot of salted water until tender, according to the package directions. Then drain and rinse under cold water to cool.
Place tender pasta in a large mixing bowl and stir in the mayo, sour cream, mustard, green onions, chopped pepper, green peas, sweet relish, eggs, cheese, salt, and black pepper. Mix well to combine.
Chill the macaroni salad in the refrigerator for two hours, then serve.
Any leftover macaroni salad should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Since this is a mayo-based cold pasta salad, it should not be left at room temperature for longer than two hours when serving.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Macaroni Salad with Peas
- Serving Bowl
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons yellow mustard
- ½ cup cubed sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions chopped
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 1 rib celery diced
- ½ cups peas
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 3 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more for pasta
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Add macaroni noodles to a large pot of boiling salted water and cook until al dente, according to the package instructions.
- Once noodles are tender, drain from the pot and rinse under cold water in a strainer to cool the noodles.
- Add the noodles to a large bowl along with the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- For best flavor, let the salad chill for a couple of hours prior to serving but it can be enjoyed immediately.