Cheesy Potato Dill Soup
This Cheesy Potato Dill Soup features spoonfuls of velvety potatoes and comforting Cheddar cheese intermingled with bright punches of dill.
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, (should yield 2 cups of chopped onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds peeled russet or baking potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche (or substitute sour cream)
- 3 tbsp fresh dill, stems removed (1 herb package)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice about 1 lemon
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- Kosher salt to taste
Heat oil in a pot. Add onion and increase heat to medium. Cook until golden, about 12 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 more minute.
Add potatoes and broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
With an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth (or puree in batches in a blender). Add cheese, tempered creme fraiche, lemon and dill and season to taste with salt.
Serve hot, in bowls, topped with extra dill.