Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup
This hearty black bean soup is full of creamy black beans, sweet apples, chopped vegetables, and a roasted hot sauce for a deep kick of flavor!
Servings: 6 servings
- 16 oz dried black beans (picked over and rinsed)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium red onion (diced)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (cored, seeded and diced)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and diced)
- 4 ribs celery (diced)
- 1 tablespoon El Yucateco Black Label Reserve Hot Sauce
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium Granny Smith or other tart apple (peeled, cored, and diced)
- 4 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime (juiced)
- Sour cream
- 2 green onions thinly sliced (for garnish, optional)
- 2 cups white rice cooked according to instructions (optional but recommended)
Add chicken stock and black beans to to slow cooker and turn on high.
While slow cooker comes to temperature prep all remaining ingredients.
Add onion, bell pepper, carrots, celery, hot sauce, garlic, apple, and bay leaves to crock pot and let cook on high until beans are tender, about 5 hours.
Once beans are tender, mash with a potato masher until the mixture begins to thicken, leaving some beans unmashed.
Remove bay leaves.
Add lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
Serve black bean soup on top of rice, topped with sour cream and green onions.
This recipe is designed to be made in the slow cooker. If you do not have a slow cooker you can still make this recipe by simmering the soup in a large pot on low until the beans are tender.
You can cook this recipe on low instead, expect it to take 8+ hours for the beans to get tender.
IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE you will also love my Homemade Baked Beans recipe too!
Calories: 635kcal | Carbohydrates: 116g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 503mg | Potassium: 1770mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 4200IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 155mg | Iron: 5mg