Chicken Gyros with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
Chicken Gyros with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce features juicy marinated chicken, a slathering of fresh homemade tzatziki sauce, as well as crisp onions and tomatoes wrapped in a warm pita.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 lbs chicken thighs skin and bones removed (Buy 2lbs of thigh meat already deboned if you can find them)
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- ⅓ cup minced cucumber after squeezing out juice (1 cucumber needed)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar or red wine or apple cider vinegar
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or more if you want a richer sauce)
- ½ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 3 tomatoes sliced
- ½ red onion thinly sliced (or substitute my pickled red onion recipe, link below)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
Add all ingredients for the marinade into a bowl and whisk to combine.
Place chicken thigh meat into a gallon ziplock bag and pour in marinade. Squeeze out air and seal.
Let marinate for 3-12 hours.
While chicken is marinating, mince cucumber into fine pieces, wrap in paper towel and squeeze out juice.
Measure ⅓ cup of cucumber and add to bowl with remaining tzatziki ingredients. Whisk to combine and let sit for at least 20 minutes, to allow flavors to meld.
Place chicken on a grill, or stove top, season with salt and pepper, and cook until meat reaches 165 degrees, flipping once.
Remove and let rest for 5 minutes.
Warm pita bread in separate pan, or in the oven. Pita should be warmed through, but not overly crispy or blackened.
Cut chicken meat if needed.
Add chicken pieces to one side of the pita, top with sliced onion, tomatoes, and parsley. Drizzle tzatziki sauce over the vegetables and fold close.