Smoked Beef Short Ribs
Incredibly meaty and tender, these smoked beef short ribs are exceptionally flavorful and easy to prepare.
- 4 pounds beef short ribs (individually cut)
- prepared yellow mustard (as needed)
- wood chips for smoking (hickory is a good choice)
Short Rib Seasonings
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preheat smoker to 225 degrees.
Mix all rib seasoning ingredients together.
Optional: Remove the membrane from the bone side of the short ribs. Alternatively, you can score it instead.
Rub the short ribs on all sides with mustard. This adds flavor and helps the seasonings to stick better.
Liberally dust the beef with seasoning mixture on all sides.
Place the short ribs in the smoker along with wood chips for smoking.
Smoke for 4-5 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 203 degrees and meat is tender. The exact time will vary depending on how thick the meat is.
Let rest for 10 minutes then serve.
Note: The seasoning mixture should yield enough to dust up to 6 pounds of short ribs.
If desired, you can add my homemade BBQ sauce during the final hour of cooking.
Calories: 594kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 64g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 195mg | Sodium: 1963mg | Potassium: 1263mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 965IU | Vitamin C: 0.4mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 7.8mg