Herb Stuffing from Scratch
As far as my tastebuds are concerned, a good stuffing should be bursting with herb flavor, seasonings and perhaps some salty Parmesan.
- 12 oz stuffing croutons unseasoned
- 2 cups chicken/turkey broth heated
- 1 stick butter divided
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt as to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a skillet, and sauté onions and celery until soft, about 5 minutes
Add garlic, remaining butter, herbs and ground pepper and cook for two more minutes.
Add croutons to a large bowl and pour stock over, then add butter mixture, and combine thoroughly.
Taste for salt and add as needed.
Transfer to 3-quart, or larger, baking dish and top with parmesan cheese and place in oven for 25 minutes. Cover the dish with aluminum foil for softer stuffing or leave uncovered for a crispy crust.