The Classic Cuban Sandwich
The classic Cuban Sandwich is a staple at sandwich shops all across the country and can easily be prepared in your own kitchen.
- 1 loaf Cuban bread (can substitute French or Italian)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 lb sliced ham (Honey ham, or another sweet ham is best)
- 1 lb sliced roast pork (this can be purchased in the deli)
- 1/2 lb sliced swiss cheese
- 8 slices dill pickles (or as needed to cover)
- 3 tbsp yellow mustard (or as needed)
Heat skillet on medium-low heat.
Slice the loaf in half lengthwise and cut into sections sufficient to make four sandwiches.
Assemble sandwiches by laying 3-4oz of ham, and 3-4oz of roast pork on bottom half of the bread. Cover meat with slices Swiss cheese and pickles and dress with mustard to taste.
Butter exterior of bread on both sides and place in the heated skillet. Add heavy pan on top to press the sandwich flat.
Heat approximately 8 minutes per side, or until cheese is melted and meat is heated. Adjust the heat as needed to ensure bread doesn't burn. If the pan is too hot the bread will burn before the meat is warmed.